[gmx-users] Problem using gmx wham

Jefferies D.F. dfj1g14 at soton.ac.uk
Thu Nov 2 14:29:25 CET 2017

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the response. The .dat files were created with the vi text editor, they contain lists of the .tpr and .xvg to be read, e.g.

umbrella0.tpr
umbrella1.tpr
umbrella2.tpr
..
umbrella52.tpr

I've tried to use dos2unix,  i.e.
~> dos2unix tpr-files.dat
and
~> dos2unix pullf-files.dat

but I still get the same error message i.e.

Program gmx wham, VERSION 5.1.2
Source code file: /Users/Damien/Downloads/gromacs-5.1.2/src/gromacs/gmxana/gmx_wham.cpp, line: 1800

Fatal error:
Unknown file type of umbrella52.tpr . Should be tpr, xvg, or pdo.

That being said, it seems you're correct in thinking something's weird with the input files. After I created new .dat files, I got this message:

Program gmx wham, VERSION 5.1.2
Source code file: /Users/Damien/Downloads/gromacs-5.1.2/src/gromacs/gmxana/gmx_wham.cpp, line: 3610

Fatal error:
Found 53 file names in tpr-files.dat, but 54 in pullf-files.dat

gmx wham is registering 54 files, when only 53 were written.