[gmx-users] Lost particles while sorting

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 23:29:17 CET 2017

So, I have a bit of an update -- hopefully this will somewhat help others
encountering this error, because it may not be entirely a bug...

1. The issue can be overcome by first and foremost not applying walls to a
system previously run without any -- that was my mistake and it makes
physical sense. Dynamic equilibration has to be performed with walls and
corresponding pbc setting. This, however, does not guarantee anything if
the system is e.g. solvated -- that is, if there are atoms expected very
close to walls, or beyond them. In addition, if there atoms looking for
neighbors across the box (through previously set pbc), that can be
catastrophic. See below.

2. After solvating, but before EM, reinsert the system in a box slightly
larger in the z-direction. For a box initially 4 nm long in Z in my case,
reinserting in a 4.6 nm long box worked here.

3. Particles seem to be lost when wall-r-linpot is set improperly, so try
various values (0.25 nm worked for me).

4. The entire concept here is naturally very messy. I could think of
optional functionality, which allows for removing entire molecules whose
atoms are anticipated to be beyond walls, or close enough to result in
local explosions. However, that is also messy and can be done manually in
previous steps, so no elegant suggestion from my end, unfortunately, other
than being very mindful when setting this up.

Alex