[gmx-users] Permeability determination

Abhishek Acharya abhi117acharya at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 08:11:12 CET 2017

Hello,

What Justin means is that when you apply position restraints, you are
fixing the positions of the atoms. In this situation, whatever property you
calculate would be incorrect as
such a restrained system is simply unphysical; in real membranes atoms are
not restrained to a position. In your case, if you restrain the lipids and
pull your ligand through this membrane,
the natural (or simulated) dynamics of the membrane in response to ligand
pulling will be hindered. Thus the calculated PMF will be incorrect.

With respect to the first point, I don't know the details of your system,
but I think he means that in your case the movement of the membrane along
the z-axis does not matter since the system
is periodic; what matters is the relative movement of the ligand with
respect to the membrane.

I hope it is clear now.

Regards,
Abhishek Acharya

Abhishek Acharya
Research Associate,
Department of Molecular Nutrition
CSIR-Central Food Technological Research Institute,
Mysuru-570020