[gmx-users] convergence of PMF

Smith, Micholas D. smithmd at ornl.gov
Thu Nov 16 14:15:45 CET 2017

One way to get some degree of confidence is to use the bootstrapping/error analysis options provided in gmx wham. But Justin is right you are looking for time invariance. So: use the first portion of your trajectory (say first 60%) and compute the PMF, then use the first 65% of your trajectory and see if it has changed (and by how much), then 70%, and 80% and so on. If you have converged (within reason), you should see that at some point, as you add more time to the analysis the PMF doesn't change (in any statistically significant way), when that occurs you have "converged".

Micholas Dean Smith, PhD.
Post-doctoral Research Associate
University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Center for Molecular Biophysics