[gmx-users] force fileds gromos and oplsaa

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Nov 16 14:31:28 CET 2017

On 11/16/17 8:28 AM, Faezeh Pousaneh wrote:
> Hi
>
> sorry for silly question, but I did not find my answer by searching.
>
> In gromos force fields, the file nonbonded.itp includes nonbonded
> parameters for two different atoms, e.g
>
> C O 1 2.300953E-03 2.222000E-06
>
> while I do not see oplsaa provides parameters for nonbonded interactions of
> different atoms, why?

The [nonbond_params] section specifies atom pairs for which normal
combination rules do not apply, e.g. pair-specific Lennard-Jones
parameters (CHARMM calls these NBFIX, for instance).

Some force fields use them, others don't (and calculate everything via
combination rules). In the case of OPLS-AA, there are a huge number of
atom types, more than any other force field (AFAIK), which is
essentially doing the same thing - there are highly specific parameter
optimizations for given interactions.

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.