[gmx-users] convergence of PMF

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Nov 17 14:48:58 CET 2017

On 11/17/17 8:47 AM, Peter Kroon wrote:

> On 17-11-17 14:38, Justin Lemkul wrote:
>>
>> On 11/17/17 6:28 AM, abhisek Mondal wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I understand the invariant trend is the key feature to look out for
>>> in this
>>> case.
>>>
>>> But, is it possible to comment on the convergence from Force-vs-Time
>>> plot ?
>>> I mean, if I comment that using 0.01 nm ps-1 pull rate after 500 ps of
>>> pulling the force became zero and thus the biasing potential goes
>>> also to
>>> zero. Hence, after 5 nm of dissociation the PMF should attain
>>> convergence
>>> if also invariant trend-line is found near that point.
>>>
>>> Does this explanation make any sense from convergence of PMF's
>>> perspective ?
>> No, because you're conducting a non-equilibrium process, which is not
>> going to give you a PMF.
>>
>> Your system is changing over time due to the application of a biasing
>> potential. It does not make sense to say that anything there converged
>> based on any time-dependent quantity.
> But shouldn't you be able to look at the force-vs-time profiles of your
> windows? So that you can at least say that the force per window is
> equilibrated?

The OP mentioned a PMF, which is equilibrium sampling and indeed you
*could* look at those forces, but then in this post it is mentioned that
it's a non-equilibrium SMD simulation (non-zero pull rate), so no,
there's nothing useful to look at here.

I would also just bypass the forces anyway, since they are extremely
noisy, and compute the PMF over different windows of time. That's the
most straightforward way to look at convergence (and what reviewers
*always* ask to see in papers).

-Justin