[gmx-users] Metal interactions with proteins

RAHUL SURESH drrahulsuresh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 17:05:28 CET 2017

Dear Justin

Sorry for the inconvenience. Tried every possible way and couldn't find any
proper way to add datas into merged.rtp. As you have suggested, Yes i have
made some incorrect format entry.
Can you please guide me to make a valid entry in rtp file? Which one is the
right format. I have searched web over the best of my knowledge and
couldn't find any valuable ideas.

Please help me in this.

Thanks in advance.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 7:07 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 11/17/17 2:30 AM, RAHUL SURESH wrote:
>
>> Dear Justin
>>
>> I have tried various measures to over come it.
>>
>> 1. I added Cu in merged.rtp and still the error prevails.
>>

>> *Error: Fatal error:in .rtp file in residue ions at line:        Cu*
>>

> This appears to indicate an incorrectly formatted .rtp entry.
>
> 2. I added TER in the pdb file and still the same error. Then I removed Cu
>> from merged.rtp and again error prevails.
>>

> pdb2gmx can't process any residue not properly entered into the .rtp file,
> so if you removed it, naturally you're going to get an error. Solve problem
> (1) before doing anything else.
>
> -Justin
>

>> *Error: Fatal error:Residue 'Cu' not found in residue topology database*
>> last few lines of my pdb
>>

>> *ATOM    319  OT2 ALA    42       4.613   5.549   2.283  0.00
>> 0.00           O  TER     320      ALA    42 ATOM    321      Cu
>> 0       1.905  -0.009  -4.349  0.00  0.00          Cu  END*
>>

>> I changed Cu atom number to 43 and also 1 but no use.
>> I added addition TER after 320 then again the error remains.
>>
>> Please help me.
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 1:42 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> On 11/16/17 1:53 PM, RAHUL SURESH wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Justin

>>> makes it nearly impossible to actually write out only certain types of
>>> molecules, we lumped (almost) everything into one file called
>>> "merged.rtp."
>>> The only exception is the nucleic acid files, which are separate (again,
>>> by
>>> necessity due to how CHARMM works).
>>>
>>> As mentioned before I have added the metal ion parameters in
>>> nonbonded.itp,

>>> as a protein. Separate it using TER or a different chain identifier so
>>> that
>>> pdb2gmx doesn't try to make it some kind of terminus.
>>>

>>> -Justin
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>>> Assistant Professor
>>> Virginia Tech Department of Biochemistry
>>>
>>> 303 Engel Hall
>>> 340 West Campus Dr.
>>> Blacksburg, VA 24061
>>>
>>> jalemkul at vt.edu | (540) 231-3129
>>> http://www.biochem.vt.edu/people/faculty/JustinLemkul.html

>>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/Support
>>> /Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
>
> 303 Engel Hall