[gmx-users] Inconsistency in units of virtual sites?

Douwe Pollmann douwepollmann at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 10:15:42 CET 2017

Thanks Justin for the reply.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, I put 1/3 in stead of 0.3333333 in this
example for clarity, but apparently it wasn't clear at all..
Below a part of the real .itp file is shown:
; The virtual sites for the side chain beads
[ virtual_sites3 ]
;Site     from                   funct        a                 b
 17       1       2       3        2      5.000000e-01      -0.000000
 18       2       1       3        2      5.000000e-01      -0.263000
 19       3       2       4        2      5.000000e-01      -0.358000
 20       4       3       5        2      5.000000e-01      -0.143000
 21       5       4       6        2      5.000000e-01      -0.336000
 .
 .
 .

; The virtual sites for the O and H atoms to simulate hydrogen bonds
[ virtual_sites3 ]
;Site     from                   funct       a             b          c
 33       2       1       3        4      6.6667e-01    0.0000    -1.1000
 34       2       1       3        4      3.3333e-01    0.0000     1.1000
 35       3       2       4        4      6.6667e-01    0.0000     1.1000
 36       3       2       4        4      3.3333e-01    0.0000    -1.1000
 37       4       3       5        4      6.6667e-01    0.0000    -1.1000
 38       4       3       5        4      3.3333e-01    0.0000     1.1000
 .
 .
 .

The distances (or actually fractions) a and b are not the problem, it is
the value for c that is problematic.
With these settings, I see in VMD what I want to see. So the distance of
site 20 to the backbone is a bit larger than the distance of the O and H
atoms to the backbone. However, when I use c = +/- 0.11 nm (which is the
most logical option because everything should be in nm as you said), the O
and H atoms are very close to the backbone, while the side chain beads are
at the correct distance.
I also checked if it is a problem that I have twice a header with [
virtual_sites3 ], but putting everything underneath one header is not the
solution to this problem..

I excluded the interactions between opposing O/H (33 34, 35 36, etc) and
also between the neighbouring O/H on both sides. So I think it cannot be
the case that those atoms are pulled together by an attractive force,
causing a factor of 10 in the distance to the bonds.

Do you or someone else have another suggestion what could go wrong?

Kind regards,
Douwe