[gmx-users] THE max number of atoms in gromacs?

João Henriques joao.m.a.henriques at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 22:22:56 CET 2017

Hi,

The PDB format is fixed, so it's not really a gromacs problem *per se*.
Take a look at this
<http://www.wwpdb.org/documentation/file-format-content/format33/sect9.html>
:

"A model cannot have more than 99,999 atoms. Where the entry does not
contain an ensemble of models, then the entry cannot have more than 99,999
atoms. Entries that go beyond this atom limit must be split into multiple
entries, each containing no more than the limits specified above."

You could go around this by writing your model in the gro format instead,
which allows you to go over 99.999 atoms by simply restarting the atom
numbering from 0 once you hit 100.000.