[gmx-users] Problem to compute interaction energy between different groups

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Nov 24 17:02:18 CET 2017

On 11/24/17 11:00 AM, ARNAB MUKHERJEE wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have simulated a system of DNA and Protamine (Coarse grained, Martini). I
> want to look at the interaction energy between different groups like DNA -
> Protamine, DNA - ions, etc. I have defined energy groups in the mdp file,
> and I pass the index file with the groups while building the tpr file.
> After the run is complete, when I run gmx energy command, no matter what
> interaction energy I choose, it always gives me 0 (for all time steps). But
> the total Potential energy works. I am not able to understand why?

If your run used a GPU, then this is what you will get; pairwise energy
decomposition is not supported on GPU.

Use mdrun -rerun to recompute the energies using CPU only. There is
anyway no point in wasting time having mdrun calculate interaction
energies during the run.

-Justin

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall