[gmx-users] virtual site connected to dummy massive site

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Nov 26 18:44:08 CET 2017

On 11/26/17 12:34 PM, Faezeh Pousaneh wrote:
> Hi Mark, sorry I am not convinced yet. I hope you did not misunderstand my
> question, I have no charges in systems on any atoms. So the extra DOF do
> not effect on potential.

Maybe I (and others) are missing something here. We understand there are
no charges, but that only affects the Coulombic energies. The LJ
potentials of two systems are only the same if the interacting species
have the same configuration. Do your virtual particles interact with
anything via LJ? If they don't, I don't understand their purpose. You
have to do an apples-to-apples comparison.

-Justin

> Best regards
>

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Potential energy is a function of configuration. You can expect the same LJ
>> energy if you compare the same configuration, ie that the distribution of
>> states is identical. But if you would have the same total energy and a
>> different distribution between PE and KE (because the DOF change) then you
>> will not sample the same states.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 10:56 AM Faezeh Pousaneh <fpoosaneh at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Mark,
>>> thanks, but degrees of freedom goes to kinetic energies, still LJ
>> energies
>>> must be the same, yes?
>>>

>>> Best regards

>> sample

>> M---C---M

>> or

>>> --
>>>
>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit
>>>
>> --
>>
>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/Support
>> /Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.