[gmx-users] Fatal error in grompp

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Nov 27 14:35:27 CET 2017

On 11/27/17 5:25 AM, Saumyak Mukherjee wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I want to calculate the interaction energy between water and protein
> backbone. However, in mdp file, when I am using
>
> energygrps = SOL backbone
>
> ​grompp is returning the following error.
>
> Fatal error:
> atoms 1 and 2 in charge group 1 of molecule type 'Protein_chain_A' are in
> different energy groups
>
> Can someone kindly point out my mistake?​

You can't make the backbone a separate energy group. Look at what atoms
1 and 2 are - likely it's the N-terminal N and one H atom, which have to
be in the same group to do a group-based, pairwise energy decomposition.
Whatever groups you establish have to contain full charge groups.

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.
Blacksburg, VA 24061