[gmx-users] Metal-Protein interactions

RAHUL SURESH drrahulsuresh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 19:00:45 CET 2017

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 at 7:14 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 11/28/17 4:54 AM, RAHUL SURESH wrote:
> > I am trying to simulate a metal-protein interaction using gromacs 2016
> > package and charmm36 ff.
> > I have prepared the initial pdb by performing an oniom calculations
> between
> > protein and metal (at various positions) using gaussian 09 and chose the
> > structure with maximum binding energy. The metal ion is bonded to oxygen
> > atom of His residue. Having a look at gro file after each step
> That's unusual; His typically coordinate metals via their delta or
> epsilon N atoms.

Sorry that I pronounced wrongly as oxygen.. regret the inconvenience.

> > (protein.gro, em.gro, nvt.groand npt.gro) the distance between metal  ion
> > and the oxygen atom keeps increasing starting from 2.06 to 2.69. Over the
> > course of simulations for 10ns, the metal ion is away from the protein.
> >
> > What can be done to have the metal ion restrained at its position? Or if
> > extend the simulation will the metal ion find its appropritae position
> > during the course time?
>
> Unlikely. This is a fundamental issue with classical mechanical force
> fields approximating ion interactions very poorly, particularly in the
> case of multivalent and/or transition metals. There are many effects
> like polarization and charge transfer that simply can't be modeled. You
> can apply distance restraints (or actual covalent bonds), NBFIX LJ
> parameters, etc.

while restraing the metal ion, it arise an error stating that an atom can
not be mentioned in two groups.
Tc grps = protein_cu water_and_ions.
Cu will already be mentioned in ions.

and that may be enough to preserve the binding pose. In
> reality, one would have to reparametrize any ligating residues because
> the charge distribution on the ion and anything coordinating it is not
> at all what the standard force field uses.

Reparameterize.? Means I have to add additional parameter file to the
charmm36 ff after interacting with metal ion.?

Also Justin, what if I can manually add a bond between N of HIS and metal
ion with most appropriate bond length ..?
(To avoid complexity if it works)

Thank you

> -Justin

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.