[gmx-users] new i9 processor

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 12:57:56 CEST 2017

Hi,

There's no real issue there. If anything, it's simpler. With the dual
socket system it would often make no sense to extend an OpenMP region
across the sockets. That's still true if there's internal structure that
makes some cores further from others (I dunno if true for Skylake-X). You'd
still want to use GROMACS in the same general way.

A 14-core node would make more complex structure harder to set up and use,
because 7 is prime. For example, a multi-sim setup using two simulations
each of two ranks on such a node would not have a natural way to split over
four ranks.

Mark