[gmx-users] new i9 processor

Bernhard Reuter b.reuter at uni-kassel.de
Tue Oct 17 12:04:13 CEST 2017

Dear Harry,

I would assume you are right with your argument that 6/8/10 cores per
GPU are better than i.e. 5 cores. If I were you I would still carefully
test, if you really have a big performance gain with a i9 16 core and
two vs. one GPU. There are two reasons for this: 1. The 1080ti is
significantly stronger than the older cards, so one could assume that
even a 16 core processor isn't fast enough to keep up with two cards (a
12 core most likely won't). 2. It is some difference between two xeons
with own PCI lanes working with a own card each and one i9 dealing with
two cards - in principle it should be fine, since the i9 has 44 PCI
lanes and two cards will use 2x16 lanes but one surely has to test this
carefully. The motherboard might also have some influence here.

Anyway I would be happy, if you could keep me up to date how it worked
out. :)

Best,

Bernhard

--