[gmx-users] new i9 processor

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 01:21:58 CEST 2017

Hi,

It's not only the core count that matters, the speed of the cores also
does! For that reason, the high-clock Intel i9 and Threadripper CPUs
will be often faster than many dual socket machines with more cores.

BTW, servethehome.com has recently started doing benchmarks with
GROMACS and has illustrated the above: a single 16 core EPYC can match
a 2x 10-12 core Intel machine.

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Harry Mark Greenblatt
<harry.greenblatt at weizmann.ac.il> wrote:
> BS”D
>

> On 17 Oct 2017, at 1:03 PM, Bernhard Reuter <b.reuter at uni-kassel.de<mailto:b.reuter at uni-kassel.de>> wrote:
>
> Dear Harry,
>
> I would assume you are right with your argument that 6/8/10 cores per GPU are better than i.e. 5 cores. If I were you I would still carefully test, if you really have a big performance gain with a i9 16 core and two vs. one GPU. There are two reasons for this: 1. The 1080ti is significantly stronger
>
> Ahh, well, I had no intention of using the 1080ti.  I was  planning on the 1070 or 1080.  I think the 8 cores of (half) the i9 should match that reasonably well; but of course, until you actually try it…
>

> than the older cards, so one could assume that even a 16 core processor isn't fast enough to keep up with two cards (a 12 core most likely won't). 2. It is some difference between two xeons with own PCI lanes working with a own card each and one i9 dealing with two cards - in principle it should be fine, since the i9 has 44 PCI lanes and two cards will use 2x16 lanes but one surely has to test this carefully. The motherboard might also have some influence here.
>
> Anyway I would be happy, if you could keep me up to date how it worked out. :)
>

>   By the way, what version of Linux are you using on the i9 machines?  I don’t think Centos supports the x299 chipset, which is discouraging me from following this route.

Use a modern distro :)

Cheers,
--
Szilárd