[gmx-users] is there any special tutorial for the interaction of nanosheet and amino acids?

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 22:38:54 CEST 2017

Hi Rose,

It sounds like a lot of things packed in a very short message, so let me
try to clarify a few points:

1. Gromacs is not DFT, it is particle-based. You simulated your nanosheet
in Gaussian and it is my understanding that you used CHELPG to obtain the
partial atomic charges.

2. Those charges in general are not compatible with most MD forcefields
implemented in Gromacs. If I remember correctly, AMBER is the closest to
using CHELPG charges. So, my point is that you need to choose the MD
forcefield properly and set the charges (all non-bonded parameters, really)
accordingly. The same goes for the bonded parameters to represent the
nanomechanical properties of the sheet. This is beyond the scope of this
discussion, as you definitely need to do a thorough literature search and
see what forcefield is appropriate.

3. You ask if your nanosheet is "suitable." Any structure is "suitable" in
principle, as long as the interactions are set properly.

It is hard to give any advice beyond that. Simulation of "custom"
structures is a lot of effort. If your system of interest is small, an
alternative to all of this could be DFTMD simulations using CP2K package.

Alex