[gmx-users] CHARMM ff cutoffs

Smith, Micholas D. smithmd at ornl.gov
Thu Oct 19 16:33:27 CEST 2017

João,

If you use the CHARMM-GUI (charmm-gui.org) to build your systems, they set their "standard" cut-offs to be 1.2nm, unless there is a membrane, then they set it to 1.4nm (at least that's what it use to do).

Changing cut-offs is kind of a mess. A lot of people will argue that the cut-offs are explicitly part of the force-field, and so whatever cut-offs were used for the parameterization are what you absolutely must use. But then you'll find papers (lake you did) that uses 0.95nm cut-offs and get reasonable results.

I would stick to the standard unless you have a really good reason (not performance) for toying with the cut-offs.

-Micholas

Micholas Dean Smith, PhD.
Post-doctoral Research Associate
University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Center for Molecular Biophysics