[gmx-users] Clustering based on other parameters than RMSD

soumadwip ghosh soumadwipghosh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 07:57:06 CEST 2017

Hi all,

Sorry about the last incomplete mail.I have a trajectory of 300 ns for a
membrane protein. I want to sample native/non-native conformations and
compare across various systems. My question is can parameters like
number/occupancy of hbonds or the time evolution of helical residues
(output from gmx do_dssp) be clustered using something like gmx cluster or
something similar? As far as I understand gmx cluster does RMSD/distance
RMSD clustering based on a predefined cut-off. I am trying to extract the
number of accessible microstates for a given system, extract the
corresponding trajectories and do some property analysis. This is to be
done based on proportion of native/non-native like states which may be
related to assigning partially denaturated state of the protein. I did
cluster analysis on PCA but it seems difficult to compare across different
systems since they have different principal components. I have plotted free
energy surfaces by taking the percentage helicity, number of hydrogen bonds
and their probability (using the gmx sham utility) as X, Y and Z variables
respectively and I am looking at different microstates. Is this approach
right or am I missing something?

I would appreciate any input on this regard.

Thanks and regards,
Soumadwip Ghosh
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Prof. Vaidehi Nagarajan's group