[gmx-users] Restart MD with overwritten CPT using TRR file in gromacs/2016.3

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 19:18:58 CET 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 6:55 PM Abramyan, Tigran <tigran at email.unc.edu>
wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your response, Mark,
>

> Your response did not come to my email, but I found it via Gromacs
> website. I think my email is registered on your site, but I forgot my
> Username. Is there a way to login with the email address and password? At
> the moment it looks like the only way I can reply to your response is via
> this email? Please suggest the correct way if I am wrong here.

Yes, there's information in the footer of every email from the list.

> So, as for the issue, it looks like Gromacs has two CPT files, both of
> which got rewritten when the job got resubmitted after crashing. The names
> of these CPT files are md.cpt and md_prev.cpt, and both have the same
> writing time (the current time, as the job is running now). I do not see
> any #md.cpt or #md_prev.cpt files, which I could use to restart the job
> from the time (frame and velocities) when it crashed.

Yes, mdrun doesn't back those up, as they tend to be large and of limited
value to retain.

I am thinking of ways to go around this issue and would like to (1) extract
> the last frame from the TRR file and (2) use the TRR file to read the
> velocities from. So, for the first step I do the following:
>

> cp #md.trr.1# md.trr  (is this correct, by the way?)

Could be, depends if the #md.trr.1# file is sound or not. Use gmx check to
see what it has.

echo "0" | gmx trjconv -f md.trr -s md.tpr -o lasframe.gro -b lastframe -e
> lastframe
>

> But I still obtain the same error, which makes me suspect something is
> wrong with the #md.trr.1# file?

Yes, anything could have happened before the crash.

Given your experience on this cluster, I recommend that you a) complain to
the sysadmins that the file system is not doing the job well enough, and b)
use mdrun -noappend so that your potential for loss is more limited. You
will now have to concatenate trajectory and energy files yourself, but at
least you will only lose data if you choose to delete it ;-)

Mark