[gmx-users] GPU-accelerated EM

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 01:33:41 CEST 2017

Mark,

I agree with you 100%, given how I've always used particle-based simulation
tools. It is my understanding that my colleague is optimizing custom
forcefields based on EM, followed by short MD. The work is also unrelated
to what most of the GMX community does, so I stay away from this part.
What happens then is also perception-dependent. On our older boxes without
GPU acceleration, he'd see equally sluggish performance from EM and MD,
while now his EM (when submitted incorrectly) runs slowly and the MD
portion completes in a quick burst. This can be perceived as EM being the
bottleneck. Before my initial post, we already decided on CPU-only EM and
your advice to move the EM portion elsewhere (e.g. our old machines) is
even better.

Thanks,

Alex