[gmx-users] HPC performance in Gromacs ?

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 13:23:38 CEST 2017

Hi,

More threads can help, but unless I miscounted, the number of threads you
started in your previous run was larger than the number of cores (i.e. you
oversubscribed the CPU cores). That will never be beneficial with GROMACS.

The run stats look more reasonable now, but your run still starts with
massive load imbalance:
"DD  step 39  vol min/aver 1.000  load imb.: force 988.1%  pme mesh/force
1.166"

This is mostly likely due to the inhomogeneity in particle distribution
across the simulation space:
"There are: 17700 Atoms
Atom distribution over 54 domains: av 327 stddev 840 min 0 max 3835"

The above indicates that your system is quite inhomogeneous. Based on what
you know about your system, you can tune the decomposition to get work
distribution across ranks better. Your log file indicates that
"The maximum allowed number of cells is: X 34 Y 34 Z 34"
so the current
Domain decomposition grid 18 x 3 x 1, separate PME ranks 18
can definitely be tweaked. For instance, you can try to decompose more in y
and/or z.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd