[gmx-users] Crystallization of NaCl saturated aqueous solution under high temperature of low pressure.

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Sep 11 13:58:41 CEST 2017

On 9/11/17 1:53 AM, Yanke Peng wrote:
> Hi, Justin, Thanks very much for your advice.
> I think I should try a low concentration NaCl to verify if the system has
> the chance to be energy minimizated.
>
> Here are the exact commands that I used.
> 1. solution definition
> #water box and topology file generation
> gmx solvate -box 2.48 2.48 2.56 -o water.gro -maxsol 352

Does this actually fill the box appropriately, and do you actually get
all 352 waters?

> gmx pdb2gmx -f water.gro -p water.top
> #get water.tpr
> gmx grompp -f water.mdp -c water.gro -p water.top -o water.tpr
>    (#content of water.mdp file: integrator=steep)
> #get solution.gro
> gmx genion -s water.tpr -np 32 -pname NA -nn 32 -nname CL -o solution.gro
> -p water.top
>   (after 32Na+ and 5Cl+ was replaced. The fatal error shows "No more
> replaceable solvent")

This should be your first indication of a problem.  If you actually have
352 waters, there should be no issue adding 64 ions.  Visualize the
structures at each step, and verify the contents of the topology.  If
you ask for 32 of each ion, you should get it.  If you don't, stop and
re-evaluate what you have done.

-Justin

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall