[gmx-users] pdb2gmx "dangling bond" error when trying to make periodically connected DNA

Viveca Lindahl vivecalindahl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 11:32:38 CET 2018

Hi again,

It seems from previous posts that this type of system setup is of general
interest so I thought I'd share the solution(s).

I modified the tdb file for the 5' end, here for CHARMM27, by adding the
following to the end of dna.n.tdb

[ hack ]
[ replace ]
C5'     C5'     CN8B    12.011     -0.08

Then in pdb2gmx -ter I choose 'hack' as the 5' terminal end. This gives the
C5' atom in the pdb file atomtype CN8B with charge -08 (which is the same
type and charge it would get if it was a non-terminal residue). For the 3'
end I choose 'none'.

Honestly, I don't know why it works -- looks like there still are "dangling
bonds" at both ends. But it seems to do the trick. The output looks like
what I want and no fatal errors. I think I'm just lucky in evading the
fatal error somehow. Another way to accomplish the same thing is to
recompile gmx with the fatal errors commented out.

Viveca