[gmx-users] Problem with Gromacs and Charmm force field dump rates

Peter Kroon p.c.kroon at rug.nl
Thu Feb 8 12:49:24 CET 2018

Hi Vivien,

My answers are inline

On 08-02-18 12:28, Vivien WALTER wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We are experiencing a strange problem with all-atom simulations using
> Gromacs and Charmm force field, and we have trouble to sort it out.
>
> We are simulating a single-ring sugar and we observe radically different
> behaviors of the molecule as a function of the simulation dump rate.
> Starting from the same .gro file with continuation = yes (so using the same
> initial velocities written in the file), the interactions of the sugar with
> its surroundings is different between two simulations if the following set
> of parameters are changed: nstxout, nstvout, nstenergy and nstlog. Between
> the two .mdp files, absolutely no other parameters are changed. As an
> example of what differs between the simulation, the box size along X and Y
> axis are increasing with low dump rates (2500 steps) but decreases with
> high dump rates (25000 steps).
Increase/decrease by how much? Is it converged?

Don't do this (http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Thermostats)
> The rest of the main options for the .mdp file are taken from the
> recommanded parameters for using Charmm36 in Gromacs (
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Force_Fields/CHARMM )
>
> Is it a known problem of Gromacs using Charmm36? Is there a way to fix the
> problem and obtain identical results, or at least similar evolutions?
Simulations perfomed by Gromacs are not binary reproducible, so you will
(never) get exactly the same result twice starting from the same point.
This is inherent in how the simulation is performed.
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Reproducibility
This is why sampling is so important, to show that the fluctuations you
see average out and are not depending on stochastic errors or the
starting conformation.

> Thanks you in advance for your help,
> Best regards,
> Vivien WALTER