[gmx-users] Gromacs 2018 and GPU PME

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 01:58:43 CET 2018

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018, 18:05 Alex <nedomacho at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to quickly jump in, because Mark suggested taken a look at the
> latest doc and unfortunately I must admit that I didn't understand what
> I read. I appear to be especially struggling with the idea of gputasks.

Szilard's link specifically targets that issue. Is there something unclear
there? Naturally, a GPU task is work that runs on a GPU.

Can you please explain what is happening in this line?

> > -pme gpu -nb gpu -ntmpi 8 -ntomp 6 -npme 1 -gputasks 00000001
>
> I am seriously confused here. Also, the number of ranks is 8, while the
> number of threads is 6? Is -ntomp now specifying the _per-rank_ number of
> threads, i.e. the actual number of threads for this job would be 48?

Yes. The -ntomp, -nt, and -ntmpi options have always been different from
each other, and still work as they always did. See
http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/2018-latest/user-guide/mdrun-performance.html.
There are 8 ranks. You specified one to do PME work, and for all PP work
and all PME work to go on GPUs, and that 7 of the GPU tasks go on GPU 0 and
one on GPU 1. Please check out the docs for each option rather than guess
:-)

Mark

Thank you,