[gmx-users] tune_pme error with GROMACS 2018

Kutzner, Carsten ckutzne at gwdg.de
Tue Feb 13 12:56:15 CET 2018

> On 12. Feb 2018, at 22:44, Daniel Kozuch <dan.kozuch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Carsten,
>
> I was hoping yo use tune_pme to optimize a REMD job across multiple nodes,
> so I think I need it compiled with MPI (please let me know if that logic is
> incorrect).
Strictly speaking, tune_pme is a serial program that calls MPI-enabled
mdruns, so only the mdrun needs to be compiled in parallel. However, often
it does not hurt if tune_pme is linked to an MPI lib (IBM poe does not
like that, though).

I use tune_pme manly to optimze the number of PNE ranks on CPU-only runs,
but you may see a benefit also with GPUs. But in combination with REMD
I would not bother too much, since each individual simulation is probably
not large enough to benefit from separate PME ranks.

Carsten