[gmx-users] 2018 performance question

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:45:59 CET 2018

Hi Michael,

What you observe is most likely due to v2018 by default shifting the
PME work to the GPU which will often mean fewer CPU cores are needed
and runs become more GPU-bound leaving the CPU without work for part
of the runtime. This should be easily seen by comparing the log files.

Especially with older GPUs (approx >2 gen old Kepler or earlier)
running only part of the PME work on the GPU can be useful. This can
be done by using the hybrid PME mode that runs 3D-FFT / gather on the
CPU:
gmx mdrun -pmefft cpu

That might give you better CPU/GPU load balance, and sometimes a
moderate performance improvement. Otherwise, there are a few things
you can do to make better overall use of the machine:
- use fewer cores without giving up much performance (e.g. leave 2
cores free for other tasks) -- that's useful if you have other work
you can do on the free cores;
- run multiple runs to fill "utilization gaps": e.g. run 2-3
concurrent runs with 2-3 cores each.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd