[gmx-users] How can I check external electric field was applied?

Dan Gil dan.gil9973 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 18:36:09 CET 2018

Hi,

You guessed correctly - gmx potential only calculates the electric field
and potential of the system. It does not take into account the applied
field.

Are you using walls in your system? If so, are you using the 3DC correction
along with PME for Ewald summation? If you answered yes to both of these
question, you need to use Gromacs version 2016.4 and forwards - there has
been an important bug fix.

As long as your gmx grompp didn't return any warning or errors, I would
expect it to be valid. You can share your MDP file with us and that might
help.

Dan