[gmx-users] Positive potential energy

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Feb 25 15:39:23 CET 2018

On 2/25/18 9:26 AM, Mahsa wrote:
> Dear Mark,
>
> Thank you for your reply. However, this is not clear for me yet since I
> read this in the tutorial from Justin:
>
> "There are two very important factors to evaluate and determine if EM was
> successful. The first is the potential energy (printed at the end of the EM
> process, even without -v). Epot should be negative. The second important
> feature is the maximum force, Fmax, the target for which was set in
> minim.mdp - "emtol = 1000.0" - indicating a target Fmax of no greater than
> 1000 kJ mol-1 nm-1."
>
> So I don't know whether it is correct to continue a simulation which gives
> positive potential energy after the energy minimisation or not?
>
> And also as I mentioned in my first post (the two different mdp files), I
> don't know if I should consider pbc or not, in my simulation.
>
> Unfortunately, I didn't understand your answer to my previous questions. Do
> you mean that the steep integrator is not good to do energy minimization
> for this type of simulation?
>
> Would you please help me to fix these problems?

There is no problem. You're just comparing apples and oranges.

The tutorial system is a simple protein solvated by lots of water. The
potential energy function is the sum of bonded and nonbonded terms. In
an aqueous protein system, the nonbonded terms (particularly water-water
electrostatics) dominate the potential energy via favorable hydrogen
bond interactions. The internal (bonded) parameters for all the other
species are small in magnitude, by comparison, so the nonbonded terms
dominate and you get a negative potential energy.

In your case, you have comparatively weak nonbonded terms and larger
bonded terms, such that the potential energy function is dominated by
internal energy, which is by definition, positive.

This is not an indication that anything is wrong with the algorithms used.

-Justin

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.