[gmx-users] Positive potential energy

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Feb 25 17:54:01 CET 2018

On 2/25/18 10:15 AM, Mahsa wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thank you for your reply!
>
> In general, is it a good approach to first use steep algorithm for EM and
> then to further minimize do EM with cg algorithm, on the output structure?

I usually don't find multiple steps of EM needed in most cases, but
occasionally. The purpose of EM is to find a plausible starting point
for the simulation - you can never know if you're in the global minimum
so it's a bit of working in the dark, anyway. But the gradient (max
force) reports on that.

> Could you please comment on my question about the mdp files and pbc as
> well? Actually, you mentioned here:
>
> https://mailman-1.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-users
> /2017-February/111219.html
>
> that for one chain of polymer in vacuum, pbc should not be considered. So,
> for my simulation, in the first step I have one chain in vaccum and
> eventually I want to pack the whole box with polymer chains and ions,
> should I use pbc or not and which of the mdp files in my first post is
> correct?

If you're working in the condensed phase, you need finite cutoffs, PME,
and PBC.

-Justin