[gmx-users] Equilibration

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Feb 28 00:08:23 CET 2018

On 2/27/18 10:05 AM, Amin Rouy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run a simulation of a solute in water. I have 2 question please:
>
> 1- After NVT equilibrium, I see that all quantities like energies and
> temperature become stable, except pressure. Should I continue till pressure
> also goes stable? or can I move forward and do it in production run?

Pressure isn't a conserved quantity in NVT. It is in NPT (hence the P).

> 2- My interest production run is NVT, should I run 2th-step-equilibrium
> with NPT also? or only NVT equilibration is enough?

Model whatever conditions are relevant to you; even with NVT, you may
want to simulate at a fixed density, which requires NPT equilibration to
stabilize the pressure/density and then continue with NVT. Rarely is the
initial configuration ideal.

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.