[gmx-users] [EXT] Re: Updated tutorials and new website

Shreyas Kaptan shreyaskaptan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 22:42:33 CEST 2018

Dear Iris,

that sounds like a great idea. I would like to ask what topics would be
considered useful for tutorials. I can think of a few:

1. Fast thermodynamic integration for alchemical transformations with the
CGI method with hybrid topologies for more complex examples
2. Replica exchange methods
3. An Essential dynamics tutorial
4. QM/MM tutorial (is that still viable ?)
5. Computational electrophysiology setup example from scratch?

I must admit I am myself very interested in some of these (especially the
QM/MM setups) and would like to see them in an accessible manner. For other
techniques, like CompEL, Essential dynamics, I am concerned that they are
underused by the community because no concrete tutorials for them exist.

If necessary I would help in setting some of these up if there is enough
demand.

Shreyas

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 8:34 PM Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 7/2/18 2:13 PM, Smith, Iris wrote:
> > That's a great idea Mark!
> > Should we submit these to you or Justin?
>
> Everyone has always been welcome to write and publish whatever tutorials
> they might come up with, and link them to the Tutorials page of
> gromacs.org. My new website is part of a publishing effort (coming soon,
> later this summer) and I'm not presently prepared to review submissions
> for inclusion. It's something I may think about in the future if there
> is sufficient interest, but probably not right now.
>
> -Justin
>
> > Iris
> >
> > Iris Nira Smith  |  Postdoctoral Fellow |  Genomic Medicine Institute
> > Cleveland Clinic  |  9500 Euclid Ave. / NE5-255  |  Cleveland, OH 44195
> | (216) 445-7885
> >

> > On 6/30/18, 12:11 PM, "
> gromacs.org_gmx-users-bounces at maillist.sys.kth.se on behalf of Mark
> Abraham" <gromacs.org_gmx-users-bounces at maillist.sys.kth.se on behalf of
> mark.j.abraham at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >      Hi,
> >
> >      A great contribution would be to write some for your own area of
> expertise.
> >      Or with similar content but done in a different way.
> >
> >      Mark
> >
> >      On Sat, Jun 30, 2018, 02:42 paul buscemi <pbuscemi at q.com> wrote:
> >
> >      > Justin,
> >      >
> >      > Thank you for all the hard work !   What can we do in return ???
> >      >
> >      > Paul
> >      >
> >      > > On Jun 29, 2018, at 5:17 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu>
> wrote:
> >      > >
> >      > >
> >      > > Hi All,
> >      > >
> >      > > I have updated all of my tutorials for use with GROMACS 2018.
> They are
> >      > now hosted on a new site:
> >      > >
> >      > > http://www.mdtutorials.com/gmx/
> >      > >
> >      > > The tutorials currently hosted on bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu will
> be
> >      > permanently taken offline by the end of the summer. I realize
> that many
> >      > other sites link to these tutorials, so please update links and
> bookmarks
> >      > if possible. In the meantime, the old tutorials will redirect to
> the new
> >      > ones.
> >      > >
> >      > > I hope the new tutorials will be helpful - there are many new
> and
> >      > improved sections, and the protein-ligand tutorial has
> essentially been
> >      > completely rewritten with a newer approach and different force
> field. I
> >      > apologize if there are any difficulties due to links that will
> now break,
> [...]

Shreyas Sanjay Kaptan