[gmx-users] Updated tutorials and new website

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jul 3 13:13:22 CEST 2018

The enthusiasm for writing new tutorials is very encouraging, and
admittedly has taken me a bit by surprise. Let me "pull back the
curtain" on what I am thinking regarding my own site and how others
might engage.

I am about to submit an article detailing my tutorials and the
theoretical underpinnings of them and context within the existing
literature. Writing this article spurred me to make the move to a new
server (which was inevitable, anyway) and update everything for version
2018. The paper is being submitted to LiveCoMS
(http://www.livecomsjournal.org/), which is built upon "living" articles
that can be revised and updated over time, with each new major version
being a new submission and new article. If people haven't heard about
it, please check them out. The source file and content of my article
will be available on GitHub soon.

For those interested in hosting something on my site, I'm open to
proposals. I won't be adding anything new until after my article is out
(it is far too late for anyone to try to contribute anything to it,
anyway, as the article will be submitted within a few days) but for
anything after that, please let me know what you might write. I wrote
all of my tutorials based on things I was actively doing in my
dissertation work, so it was natural for me to share with everyone what
I had learned. I encourage others to do the same.

The tutorial site is also a large part of a very important grant I will
be submitting that needs to include educational components, so please
understand and expect that I will have certain standards for inclusion,
because as I have learned over the last 10 years of effort, it is no
small task to write and maintain high-quality tutorial material. I
haven't exactly formulated how all of that will work out, but anyone
with a solid idea and the drive to write a tutorial is welcome to reach
out to me. While I have contributed some code to GROMACS over the years,
my biggest contribution is obviously in documentation and teaching,
which I enjoy doing and will continue to do in support of this community
and the important science that people are doing.

If people want to continue the discussion here, that's great and I'll
comment as needed, or feel free to send ideas to me off-list.

-Justin