[gmx-users] AdResS feature in gromacs

Jan Henning Peters jan.henning.peters at fu-berlin.de
Tue Jul 3 19:10:33 CEST 2018

Hello Eduardo,

I forgot that water of course does not require 1-4 interactions, so
that's while the tf generation worked (VOTCA would not have generated a
tablep.xvg file if it had been required but already caused problems
there) and the simulation with protein didn't. Again, copying the
table.xvg (or the file you used) should solve this problem.

As long as the protein does not enter the transition region, you should
be able to use the tf calculated for a pure water box, but you should
check that the results are reasonable (no change in water density in the
hybrid region). However, you should take care when adapting the tf table
- if you are using a bigger explicit region (adress-ex-width in the .mdp
file), just extending the tf table at the end (I believe that is what
VOTCA would do) will not do the trick, but you will have to shift the
table. For example, if you calculated the tf for adress-ex-width = 2 and
now use adress-ex-width = 5, you should add 3 to the first column (r) of
the table and add lines for r<3 with constant second (the potential
U(r<3) = U(r=3)) and third (the force F(r<3) = 0.0) columns. I would not
recommend changing the width of the hybrid region (adress-hy-width in
the .mdp file) - it might be possible to adapt the tf, but it's better
if you don't.

The AdResS region in GROMACS does not move but always is centred around
the reference point (adress-reference-coords in the .mdp file), so you
will have to make sure that this reference point is - and remains -
close to the centre of the protein. Currently, the "usual" (not many
people have done something like this) approach for this would be to
apply position restraints to parts of the solute (ideally only one atom)
- there are approaches for mobile explicit regions, but they are not
implemented in GROMACS. Also, you should make sure that the explicit
region is big enough that no part of the protein leaves the explicit
region (after all, the protein is not static). If parts of the protein
leave the explicit region, the simulation will likely continue for some
time before running into problems, but the results are meaningless, even
if no errors occur.

By the way, you might want to look at this publication, where something
similar was done for micelles: https://doi.org/10.1002/adts.201800025

Regards,
Jan