[gmx-users] Shell (Drude) model for polarization in GROMACS

Eric Smoll ericsmoll at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 07:31:49 CEST 2018

Thanks Justin,

That is very helpful.  I can run the water example provided in your paper
with the GROMACS "drude" branch.

I have built my own tools to construct a core-shell MD topology file for my
system.  Grompp produces a tpr without complaint but mdrun crashes after
the first step with a segmentation fault and no other useful errors.  I am
trying to troubleshoot.

Is it required that each drude/shell immediately follow the atom it is
attached to in the atoms directive and the input coordinate file?  For
convenience, I have attached them to the end of each molecule?

In my topology, I manually account for the fact that drude/shell particles
are attached with bonds which count when evaluating exclusions.
Specifically, I assume a "3" in the molecules directive will take care of
all exclusions up to 3 bonds away.  To account for the extra bond lengths
introduced by drude/shell particles, I add manually add certain exclusions
for particles that should be 3 bonds away according to the atom-atom
connectivity.  Will this work or is there some "gotcha" I don't
understand.  For example, do you invalidate the moleculetype directive by
providing an exclusions directive?

Best,
Eric