[gmx-users] warming up a protein system

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 9 15:30:38 CEST 2018

On 7/9/18 4:55 AM, morpheus wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> I have a few questions about the warming-up procedure of a simple ~600AA
> protein in water using the Gromos force field and SPC water. First I do an
> energy minimization and then I want to warm my protein up to 310K.
>
> 1) What does the "constraints =  all-bonds" mean exactly? In the manual I

It means the bond lengths of all bonds are fixed at their equilibrium
values.

> just found a cryptic "Convert all bonds to constraints." I read elsewhere
> that this is needed if "detail of bonds' oscillation is not important". But
> what is really done here? Is the length of bonds unchangeable (very
> difficult to change) or also their angle?

Angles are not affected by constraints unless you ask for "constraints =
all-angles" (very unusual).

> 2) Is it ok to not generate velocities during the warm-up and do it for the
> production runs only? ("gen_vel =  no"). I saw that the default for
> "gen_temp" is 300K so it would run until 300K without and then generate the
> velocities? Because generating velocities close to 0 Kelvin possibly does
> not make much sense? So is it better not to generate them in the warm-up at
> all?

If you're warming from zero, it shouldn't really matter because all
velocities would be zero anyway. When using annealing options, most of
the standard thermostat settings are ignored by necessity, anyway.

-Justin

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.