[gmx-users] Re Grompp errors while changing combination rules

Apramita Chand apramita.chand at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 08:18:37 CEST 2018

Dear Justin,
I have tried the same commands with gromacs version 5.1.2 and the same
errors arise.
You have suggested that the format of what has been provided to grompp may
be wrong. What I did was modify ffnonbonded.itp by leaving the C6, C12
columns empty alongside pair interactions under the [nonbonded params] and
[pairs] headings. (Since I have specified sigma,epsilon values in the
[atomtypes] section(intending to use combination rule 3), the interaction
parameters have to be calculated using these values.)  For example:

*[ nonbond_params ]; i    j func          c6           c12      OM
O  1      OA        O  1      OA       OM  1      OE        O  1
OE       OM  1      OE       OA  1*

*.... etc. *

*and [ pairtypes ]; i    j func             OM        O      OA        O
1      OA       OM  1      OE        O  1      OE       OM  1      OE
OA  1      OW        O  1*
 Then I used this modified ffnonbonded.itp in the topology file like this :

*; Include forcefield parameters#define _FF_GROMOS96#define _FF_GROMOS53A6[
defaults ]; nbfunc    comb-rule    gen-pairs    fudgeLJ    fudgeQQ  1
          3                 yes             1.0           1.0#include
"ffnonbonded_modified.itp"#include "ffbonded.itp"*
I assumed leaving the columns blank will prompt grompp to generate the
interactions and indeed there was a line stating "Generated 1653 of the
1653 non-bonded parameter combinations / Generated 1-4
interactions/Generated 1653 of 1653 1-4 parameter combinations"

What should be the correct method of changing the ffnonbonded.itp or
specifying in the topology file? Please advise.
Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,
Apramita Chand

*Message: 4 Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 08:14:50 -0400 From: Justin Lemkul
<jalemkul at vt.edu <jalemkul at vt.edu>> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
<gmx-users at gromacs.org> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Grompp errors while
changing combination         rules Message-ID:
<d15873b3-233f-0e08-b700-8798a61ee01e at vt.edu
<d15873b3-233f-0e08-b700-8798a61ee01e at vt.edu>> Content-Type: text/plain;