[gmx-users] REMD Showing Zero Exchange Probability

Abhishek Acharya abhi117acharya at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 15:53:50 CEST 2018

Hello,

The REMD generator provides an estimate of the number of replicas that may
be necessary (based on the system size) for performing replica exchange
properly. Since you got 47 replicas, you can maybe play around with
replicas more or less around that range. Maybe 16 replicas is much less for
your system. You can check whether the energy distributions obtained from
the replicas overlap properly or not.

If your system is such that you can make do with sampling a smaller
subspace of your system, then perhaps REST2 (Replica Exchange with Solute
Scaling, IIRC) may be be helpful. Although, I haven't come across many
articles lately that have used it. I would also suggest you explore other
sampling methods and see if they can be adapted to your problem of interest.

Best Regards,
Abhishek