[gmx-users] Gromacs on CPU runs fine, same calculation crashes on GPU with nonbonded interaction larger than table limit

Marc Hoemberger hoemberg at brandeis.edu
Thu Mar 1 22:17:48 CET 2018

Hi Justing,

I followed your advice and  compiled GROMACS 2016.4 version and used this
vanilla version (no Plumed patch applied).

I see a very similar behavior as described beofre, in that when starting
the simulation on a CPU only node, the system behaves well (simulation is
now running for 2ns+ without any problems),  however, when I start it on
the GPU/CPU the system seems to be exploding with many LINCS warnings:

Step 231, time 0.462 (ps)  LINCS WARNING
relative constraint deviation after LINCS:
rms 172.973862, max 7198.149414 (between atoms 2104 and 2105)
bonds that rotated more than 30 degrees:
atom 1 atom 2  angle  previous, current, constraint length
2098   2101   55.5    0.1528   0.0888      0.1530
2101   2102  132.5    0.1304 796.0084      0.1111

And many more of this kind. The system has been equilibrated well
(NVT+NPT+unconstrained 10ns run - all on CPU only). I tried different
combinations of GPU/Threads, but the system just seems to not behave well,
as soon as I try to run it on the GPU node. I am using CUDA version 7.5 and
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 TI cards.

I uploaded both log file and error file on pastebin, in case this might
help:
LOGFILE: https://pastebin.com/q24WZ6vF
ERRORLOG: https://pastebin.com/R8aMHmnD

-Marc