[gmx-users] stride

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 19:22:44 CET 2018

Indeed if the two jobs do not know of each other, both will pin to the same
set of threads -- the default _shoud_ be 0,1,2,3,4,5 because it assumes
that you want to maximize performance with 6 threads only, and to do so it
pins one thread/core (i.e. uses stride 2).

When sharing a node among two runs, you will get best performance if you
use the first half of the cores for one of the runs, the rest for the
other, i.e.
-pinoffset 0 -pinstride 1 => will use [   0   6] [   1   7] [   2   8]
-pinoffset 6 -pinstride 1 => will use [   3   9] [   4  10] [   5  11]

--
Szilárd