[gmx-users] Minimal PCI Bandwidth for Gromacs and Infiniband?

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 16:33:08 CET 2018

Two things I forgot:

- Ryzen chipsets are limited in the number of PCIE lanes, so if you
plug in a second card (e.g. IB), you'll get x8 on both, which means
GPU transfers will be slower too. Now, this may not be a great issue
if you run multiple ranks per GPU which will provide some
transfer/kernel overlap, boot sooner of later performance will suffer.

- Whether you need IB and which one is worth it vs GbE + RoCE is made
even more tricky by the fact that, GROMACS runs can actually fall on
either on the the bandwidth/latency-bound regime. While as Mark said
for GROMACS performance _mostly_ latency and injection rate what
matters, that's actually only true at high parallelization with small
data/rank hence small message size per rank. Also, newer IB adapters
can get near peak bandwidth already around 4 KB messages size, so if
you don't have too many nodes/MPI ranks, most of your P-to-P traffic
can still benefit from the higher bandwidth of some network -- if that
can be obtained at the relevant messages sizes.
As an example take from the on the previous HPC-AC presentation slide
15 [1] you can see that running the adh benchmark (134k atoms) across
16 nodes you get MPI_Sendrecv 20% <1KB, 15% 1-4KB, 5% 4-16KB, 60%
>16KB. If you take some data from the MVAPICH2 IB point-to-point
benchmarks [2], you can see that e.g. ConnectX-3 get close to peak
bandwidth at messages above 4-8KB, while Connect-IB only above
32-64KB.

[1] http://www.hpcadvisorycouncil.com/pdf/GROMACS_Analysis_Intel_E5_2697v3_K40_K80_GPUs.pdf
[2] http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/performance/pt_to_pt
--