[gmx-users] rvdw and rcoulomb

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 13 13:00:57 CET 2018

On 3/13/18 7:23 AM, Ahmed Mashaly wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> What do you mean by incorrect?
> I understand it is higher than it should be (0.8 - 1 nm), it will consume more time, but won't give wrong results, am I correct?

With PME, the value of rcoulomb becomes somewhat irrelevant, but in
general, one should *not* deviate from prescribed force field cutoff
values. Force fields are parametrized under a certain set of
assumptions. If you then deviate from those assumptions, you potentially
imbalance forces. The simulation will happily run and potentially
produce incorrect results.

Find the proper values in primary literature (something everyone should
do before even deciding on a force field) and use those values. GROMACS
will tune rcoulomb slightly for PME performance reasons, and this is
fine, but don't go messing with the stock values haphazardly.

-Justin

> Kind Regards,
> Ahmed

Assistant Professor