[gmx-users] nve energy conservation

Jo jojo412202 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 19:42:30 CET 2018

Thank you for your reply!

I am attempting to conserve energy in an NVE run of 1000 SPCE water - I
have tried a number of different verlet-buffer-tolerances (0.001 to 5e-5),
sometimes the run output file suggests a specific verlet buffer-tolerance.
However I am still experiencing ~600 kJ/mol shift per ns.  I have tried
double precision which does not seem to make a difference.  I also use a
potential modifier (potential-shift) to ensure the potential reaches 0. I
have tried turning off the charges (to see if the ewald parameters are the
source of the problem), but the same massive energy shift occurs - which
leads me to believe the ewald parameters are not the source of the problem.

I am using 'settle' to constrain the water molecule.  I am suspicious that
this could be the cause of the energy shift. Although, looking at some of
the previous posts on gromacs email forums, it appears that 'settle' has
not been a problem for energy conservation previously.

I have also tried different versions of Gromacs (5.1.4 and 2018), but the
energy shift still occurs.

Can you recommend any other parameters to change?  Or any other strategies
to go about conserving energy for NVE?

Best,

Jo