[gmx-users] Regarding minimum size

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 22:51:49 CET 2018

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 10:43 PM Chhavi Yadav <cy1235 at nyu.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So here is what I want to do. Kindly help.
>
> I generate .gro and .top from .pdb file using pdb2gmx command. Then using
> .gro and .top I generate .tpr with the grompp command. Then using .tpr and
> .gro files I generate the .edr file using mdrun -rerun.
>
> Issue 1: When I change the coordinates of some random atoms only in the
> .gro file, I see a corresponding change in the potential energy of the
> molecule after running mdrun.(Let us ignore the fact that randomly changing
> the atom coordinates is not the right thing to do). Should I be changing
> both .tpr and .gro files to see the valid change? Is only changing .gro
> enough and why?

You're doing a rerun, so the coordinates come from the file you pass to
-rerun. The .tpr provides only the model physics.

Issue 2:I want to find the potential energy of different molecules in a
> loop but I do not want to read the molecules from their .gro files. I want
> to read one .gro file in the beginning, find its potential energy and then
> want to iteratively change the already stored topology of the previous
> molecule and find the new corresponding potential energy.

You can't do that at the level you tried. EIther pre-generate the
coordinates you want in a trajectory file you pass to -rerun (strongly
recommended) or modify how rerun works to instead vary the coordinates.

> I tried
> accomplishing this by calling mdrun once in the beginning with the original
> .gro and .tpr files, then I changed the coordinates of some atoms modifying
> values in t_state.
> But when I call mdrun again with the t_state changes, I get the potential
> energy of the previous molecule instead, even when I made changes to only
> read the .gro once in the beginning and never again. Can you please explain
>

> why are the changes in t_state being overlooked?

It won't work because the .tpr reads a configuration into the state, and
then rerun reads a different one.

I strongly suggest you get your method to work on unmodified GROMACS
passing creative files to -rerun, and only once you know what the correct
results are, *and* you need the control and/or performance benefit move to
some modified form of the source code.

Mark

Thanks,