[gmx-users] nve energy conservation

Jo jojo412202 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 22:08:25 CET 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your response.  I have found a way to conserve energy of my
box of SPC/E water by removing 'settles' from my topology file.
Previously, the total energy of the system was consistently increasing or
decreasing by a significant amount resulting in no energy conservation.

I have defined 'bonds' and 'angles' with length and force constant for a
flexible SPC/E water, with no 'settles' and no 'constraints'.  For these
parameters, the total energy converges to approximately the correct energy
and fluctuates withing 40 kJ/mol for a timestep of 1 fs, which is good.
However, I don't understand why or how removing the constraints allowed for
energy conservation. Does simply defining 'bonds' and 'angles' actually
force the atoms to to constrained as a rigid molecule.  If not, why does
adding some sort of constraint make the system loose energy conservation?
How can I go about constraining the atoms as a rigid water molecule so that
I don't loose energy conservation?

Thank you in advance,

Jo