[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling: window distance - harmonic force constant

Hermann, Johannes J.Hermann at lrz.tu-muenchen.de
Tue Mar 27 10:44:24 CEST 2018

Dear All, dear Justin,

I am playing around with my umbrella sampling setup and I was looking at
your paper which you linked in your umbrella sampling tutorial
("Assessing the Stability of Alzheimer’s Amyloid Protofibrils Using
Molecular Dynamics").
Up to a distance of 2nm you use a 0.1nm spacing, beyond a 0.2nm spacing.
Which harmonic force constant pull_coord1_k do you use for the 0.1nm
spacing? In comparison to the 0.2nm spacing, where pull_coord1_k=1000.
Is there a general rule of thumb between window distance and force
constant? Or is it always try and error while checking the histograms?
Thank you very much.

All the best

Johannes

--