[gmx-users] pulling in opposite direction

Rakesh Mishra rockinbhu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 09:23:06 CEST 2018

Dear Dr. Justin

Thanks for your patience to reply me. I think for last 3-4 months
we are discussing about the pulling. I agreed with your statement to
  [stop thinking concretely in terms of a "reference" and a
"pulled" group ]. I am also not thinking in terms of this nomenclature.
 I just thought as a end coordinate of bias.   I checked many  combination
for pulling two groups in opposite direction.  Now I am getting fine to
pull groups
by applying two bias potential. like..

; Pull code
pull                               = yes
pull_ngroups                 = 4
pull_ncoords                 = 2
pull_group1_name        = r_24
pull_group2_name        = r_12
pull_group3_name        = r_24
pull_group4_name        = r_12
; definition of reaction coordinate 1, group 1-2
pull_coord1_type           = umbrella      ; harmonic biasing force
pull_coord1_geometry   = distance      ; simple distance increase
pull_coord1_groups       = 1 2
pull_coord1_dim            = Y N N
pull_coord1_rate            = 0.005         ; 0.005 nm per ps = 5nm per 1 ns
pull_coord1_k                = 500          ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
pull_coord1_start           = yes           ; define initial COM distance >
0
; definition of reaction coordinate 2, group 3-4
pull_coord2_type           = umbrella      ; harmonic biasing force
pull_coord2_geometry    = distance      ; simple distance increase
pull_coord2_groups        = 3 4
pull_coord2_dim             = Y N N
pull_coord2_rate             = 0.005         ; 0.005 nm per ps = 5nm per 1
ns
pull_coord2_k                 = 500          ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
pull_coord2_start            = yes           ; define initial COM distance
> 0

In this way I am getting conceptually correct output. Now there is no
changes
of  out put value of force-time by changing the saving frequency of
co-ordinates of
position , energy etc, which I was getting previously.

now my request is that please check above pull protocol. lastly in this
discussion
I have two query.
1-  Reaction coordinate means what ? . In my view its position coordinate.
i.e end to
     end distance between two groups during pulling or  something else.

2- Here in above protocol,
    pull_coord1_dim             = Y N N
     pull_coord1_dim             = Y N N
     this is showing that groups are pulling in x direction and not in Y
and Z direction.

so what will be the need to define
    pull_coord1_vec             = 1 0 0
     pull_coord2_vec             = 1 0 0 .

I think both are presenting the same thing.
Hoping your previous views on my these query. I think after that I will
have almost
negligible doubts regarding pulling.

And one another thing is that, If we want to change the pulling protocol
like to apply
force as piconewton/ps then in algorithm of gromacs, where we need to
implement in installed
gromacs in our machine.