[gmx-users] Problem during equilibration using semi-isotropic pressure coupling

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 10 02:20:42 CEST 2018

On 10/9/18 6:02 AM, ARNAB MUKHERJEE wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a system of infinite CG (Martini) DNA (length of the DNA same as
> length of the periodic box) protein system. I am trying to equilibrate this
> system to 1 bar pressure. Since my DNA is same as the size of the box, I
> don't want the box to fluctuate along Z direction. Hence I am using semi
> isotropic pressure coupling, with the box fluctuating only along XY.
> I have built 2 systems. One where the DNA is completely frozen, and the 2nd
> one only DNA end points are frozen. For both the systems I ran
> equilibration NPT run for over 20 ns, and still the average pressure
> doesn't show 1 bar, which is the target pressure. For the only end points
> frozen DNA protein system, the average pressure shows 1.5 bar, and for the
> completely frozen DNA system, the average pressure shows around 5.5 bar,
> after running for over 20 ns for both the systems.

The average needs to be interpreted in light of the fluctuations, which
for pressure are usually massive.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Pressure

> Here is how my .mdp file looks :
>
>   title       = NVT equilibration with position restraint on all solute
> (topology modified)
> ; Run parameters
> integrator  = sd        ; leap-frog integrator
> tinit       = 0
> init-step   = 16000000
> nsteps      = 12000000
> dt          = 0.001     ; 1 fs
> ; Output control
> nstxout     = 0 ; save coordinates every 10 ps
> nstvout     = 0 ; save velocities every 10 ps
> nstcalcenergy   = 50
> nstenergy   = 1000  ; save energies every 1 ps
> nstxtcout       = 2500
> ;nstxout-compressed  = 5000   ; save compressed coordinates every 1.0 ps
>                               ; nstxout-compressed replaces nstxtcout
> ;compressed-x-grps  = System  ; replaces xtc-grps
> nstlog      = 1000  ; update log file every 1 ps
> ; Bond parameters
> continuation    = no   ; first dynamics run
> constraint_algorithm = lincs ; holonomic constraints
> constraints = none          ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds)
> constrained
> ;lincs_iter = 2                 ; accuracy of LINCS
> lincs_order = 4                 ; also related to accuracy
> epsilon_r       = 15
> ; Neighborsearching
> cutoff-scheme   = Verlet
> ns_type     = grid      ; search neighboring grid cels
> nstlist     = 10            ; 20 fs
> rvdw_switch     = 1.0
> rlist       = 1.2       ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> rcoulomb    = 1.2       ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
> rvdw        = 1.2       ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
> vdwtype         = Cut-off       ; Twin range cut-offs rvdw >= rlist
> ;vdw-modifier    = Force-switch
> ;Electrostatics
> coulombtype = PME       ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
> pme_order   = 4         ; cubic interpolation
> fourierspacing  = 0.12      ; grid spacing for FFT
> ; Temperature coupling is on
> tcoupl          = v-rescale
> tc_grps         = System
> tau_t           = 2.0
> ld-seed  =  -1
>
> ;energygrps = DNA W_ION_Protein
> ;energygrp-excl = DNA DNA
> freezegrps = DNA
> freezedim = Y N Y

Freezing in the absence of proper energygrp-excl leads to spurious
contributions to the virial, as stated in the manual. Freezing is
totally artificial, anyway, so you should carefully evaluate whether
this is an appropriate approach.

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.