[gmx-users] simulation in acidic condition

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Oct 13 08:17:37 CEST 2018

Den 2018-10-13 kl. 01:18, skrev Alex:
> I am not aware of any forcefield with an established H3O+ ion model (and it
> is a pretty complicated subject), so you would need to develop the
> hydronium ion model yourself and justify its use instead of things like
> KCl/NaCl.

There are quite a few H3O+ models, both simple point charge and
polarizable. But it is somehow besides the point. What the original
poster sets out to do is to study denaturation due to acids. As Justin
correctly pointed out the only way to mimic that is to *change the
protonation state of the protein* (not: to protonate the protein). That
means at a lower pH more Asp and Glu sidechains will be protonated.

This gives you a combinatorial problem (which of the Asp and Glu) that
is coupled to the structure: where the protons are added influences the
structure and vice versa. So you are look at doing dozens or hundreds of
long simulations to study this.

There *is* an implementation of constant pH simulations in gromacs, but
it is slow last time we played with it. Check work by Donninni and Groenhof.

> Alex
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 4:27 PM ali khamoushi <khamuoshia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your answers. so, I leave you with one more question. if I use
>> HCL ions in shape of H3O+ and Cl- instead of NaCl for neutralization, isn't
>> it disrupt system?
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 1:46 AM Alex <nedomacho at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Noone knows if "it is gonna probably work." Justin simply suggested the
>>> only way to modify pH in this type of simulations. You can certainly use
>> an
>>> excess of appropriate ion types added to the solvent to neutralize the
>>> system overall. Whether it gives you any answers we don't know.
>>>
>>> Alex

>>> know
>>> call

>>> is
>>> neutralization?

>> refers
>>> you're
>> state

>> should
>> in
>>> software,

>>> in a
>>> and
>>> useful.

>> the
>>> simulate

>> before

>>> or

>> or

>>> --
>>>
>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit
>>>
>> --
>>
>> * Please search the archive at
>> posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Head of Department, Cell & Molecular Biology, Uppsala University.
Box 596, SE-75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone: +46184714205.
http://www.icm.uu.se